Saturday, May 2

Shades of Spring and Summer: Thai Pomelo Salad and Pomelo Granita



Thai Pomelo Salad


Pomelo Granita

Thai Pomelo Salad. Had a meeting in Davao City last Tuesday. And I knew that when in Davao, I just have to have fruits and seafood. So I ate a lot of grilled squid and fish and drank fresh mango juice. And since it was just an overnight stay, we only had time to do quick buying. From Samal Island, the nearest market was Agdao Market. I decided to bring back to Manila one box (8 kilos) of pomelos.

What to prepare? I decided to do a Thai Pomelo Salad (from the Marketman). Basic seasonings were: fish sauce, dried shrimp, lime juice, chili powder and palm or brown sugar. It was simply good! Especially when paired with something fried, in our case, fried chicken.

Pomelo Granita. In our house we were already preparing granita a long time ago, but didn't have a name for it. We would make ice candy from fresh fruit juice and it would not freeze like ice. Afterwards, we smashed it and ate it like ice cream. Now granita has become popular; it is quick and easy and definitely a summer treat! Just puree pomelo, add sugar syrup and pour into shallow pan. Freeze. Scrape and stir about three times at more or less one hour intervals to loosen it up. Sarap!

16 comments:

TeacherJulie said...

Ohhh, I love pomelo and those look good especially the granita! Yum!

Anonymous said...

I love pomelo! Ma-try nga rin itong dish na ito.


My LaPiS entry for this week is right here. Please visit it if you have the time. Happy weekends!

raquel said...

yummm! i will have mine with pritong dalangang bukid....i'll have to try your recipe when i find some pomelo in the stores here..nangangasim na 'ko just thinking about it. LOL

Maver said...

interesting! must try that soon. mine's up here:
http://maver.wifespeaks.com/2009/05/lapis-43-colors-of-spring-and-summer.html

happy lapis!

Maver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
iska said...

Your Thai pomelo salad looks interesting. Haven't tried that before...

Lynn said...

I would like to try that Thai pomelo salad. My husband loves chili peppers.

LYNN

Oggi said...

The pomelo granita sounds really sarap!

agent112778 said...

interesting dish

my entry is heremagandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

 gmirage said...

wow, first time to see this :D I always ate pomelo as is...:) Have a nice week!

http://kitchenmaus.gmirage.com/

Unknown said...

i'd like to tray the pomelo granita! the thai pomelo salad looks different from what i'm used to, pero i'm sure masarap din yan.:D basta pomelo, masarap!

ces said...

looks and sounds interestingly refreshing! a must do for me too!:)

ces said...

oh that's also me
ces

Anonymous said...

Ooohh... me want some of that :) Refreshing indeed!

JMom said...

That pomelo salad with peppers almost made me drool! That would definitely pair us nicely with fried or broiled fish.

JMom ~ Cooked from the Heart

Jescel said...

I remember my first time in Davao, I lagged a crate of pomelos and rambutan. Back then, PAL allowed it. That pomelo salad is interesting. I definitely want to try it.. citrus paired with salty stuff is always nice.. and that granita must be refereshing!

Post a Comment