Sunday, April 26

Swirl and Twirl: Tamagoyaki



I love Japanese food. Tamagoyaki or rolled omelet is the Japanese's omelet; it is sweetish and good. Most importantly, it has swirls and twirls! I never thought I would end up with egg as my post for this week's theme. My first inclination was pasta, then candy and then chocolate icing that would swirl and twirl. But when I came across this recipe at the Rasa Malaysia website, I thought this would be an opportunity to make something new.

Without a tamagoyaki pan (square pan), this is difficult to do because the rolling of the omelet takes place inside the pan! I didn't have a tamagoyaki pan so I just made do. Carefully struggled to roll it and cut off the edges afterwards. Fortunately, I have a sushi mat where you leave the rolled omelet to stand for a few minutes. So there! Tamagoyaki for breakfast!

"Ingredients:

3 tablespoon dashi stock or the same amount of water and a pinch of dashi-no-moto
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
6 large (US extra large) eggs, beaten
Vegetable oil

Method:

Mix the dashi stock or water with dashi-no-moto with mirin, sugar, soy sauce, and salt. Add to the beaten eggs and stir well. Heat the omelet pan over medium heat. Soak a paper towel in a little oil and wipe the pan to grease it.

Pour in some egg mixture and tilt the pan to coat evently. When the omelet starts to set, roll it up towards you using a pair of chopsticks or a spatula. Keeping the rolled omelet in the pan and push it back to the farthest side from you. Oil the empty part of the pan with the paper towel again. Again, pour in some egg mixture into the empty side, lift up the first roll with chopsticks and let the egg mixture runs underneath. When it looks half set, roll the omelet around the first roll to make a single roll with many layers. Repeat the process until all egg mixture is used up.

Move the roll gently onto a sushi rolling mat covered with a clear sheet of plastic wrap. Roll the omelet firmly into the mat and leave to stand rolled for 5 minutes. Cut the rolled omelet into 1 inch slices crossways." (Rasa Malaysia)

7 comments:

iska said...

Your breakfast looks yummy. I love Japanese food, too, but yet to do my 1st sushi!

Lory said...

they look like rolled pancakes! nakakatakam!

 gmirage said...

Oh, I was watching a video on how to make omurice and it includes egg too, its awesome how japs made them rolled like that hehe...Ang ganda ng swirl!

www.kitchenmaus.gmirage.com

Oggi said...

I am so enamored with Japanese food, they are as yummy as they look, and so much fun to make too. I bought a rectangular pan for making tamagoyaki although it's not really necessary.

BTW, do you know the "meaning" of those lyrics I think I'm turning Japanese?:D

agent112778 said...

i cant do that egg dish :( but is a Challenge that im willing to face

my entry is heremagandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

ces said...

very creative make-do opp! i'm curious, do you have the recipe?
spiCes

Zeee said...

Wow! Looks absolutely yummy! New way to make an omelet, too! :)

BTW wala akong entry ngayon, though... I didn't have time to make anything twirled... :(

Post a Comment