Monday, June 15

Blame it on the a-alcohol: Fruit Cake



Fruit cakes are fast disappearing from most Filipinos' Christmas menu. When I was younger, there was always a fruit cake given as a gift every Christmas. I guess that was because I still lived with my parents in the province and most of their friends hold the tradition of fruit cake gift giving during Christmas. So with this fond memory, I thought of baking fruit cake not without some trepidation though for the reason that my daughter, the Artist, does not like food with alcohol.

Key ingredients were rum, dried tropical fruits, raisins and nuts. It turned out okay but I couldn't taste the rum! Turned out, I was supposed to wrap the fruit cake in cheese cloth soaked in the strained rum. Hay naku. Have to look for a better recipe next time.

2 comments:

Oggi said...

The tropical fruits sound really good. Now I have a craving for fruit cake in the middle of the year.:)

I add the rum, actually cheap brandy, then moisten once every 2 days with more brandy for at least a month before eating.

MUSHROOMSfromHOME said...

thanks oggi. the recipe i followed did not add the rum. will do it again, this time adding the rum. i guess the more difficult part is refraining from eating for a period of time, hehehe.

Post a Comment